Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Story Time...

ARGHH!! I am having withdrawals without my pictures!!

We have been experiencing some frigid temperatures here in NC this week and with that have been inside more than usual. We love to go outside and be free in the yard. This week we have lasted no more than 5 or 6 minutes before the kids start to ask to go in. Runny noses, red cheeks, chapped hands and 5 pleading faces... I usually relent and in we go. I will be happy when we can be out longer. It helps with energy, sleeping, and mostly our moods. Mine included. Basically we have been having a longer Free Play time in the morning before we have circle time. I have tried to start the story telling exercise I read about on the blog by Teacher Tom. You can read about them here and here. I thought it could be a great thing for the kids. It has started out great. We are at the very beginning stages and the kids will need some time to get the hang of it, but I like it.

Ryan: My story is about stories. I like stories. Why do we have to do stories?

When I read it to the kids they all giggled and he thought it was a grand story, even though he wasn't so sure in the beginning.

Sydney (almost 3): I like my Mom. My Mom did my hair.

She came up to the front when I read it and yes, she laughed and said her Mom made cupcakes. I love these kids.

I will keep giving the kids the chance to dictate to me more stories when we have time, I think they really liked it.

3 comments:

  1. I love their stories (and the one's on Teacher Tom's blog). The story about stories made me giggle too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I think storytelling is an awesome idea and a dying art. Randy tells stories to the kids about when he grew up and the kids love it. Then, they want to tell stories. I do.. need to take it a step further and dictate... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about doing something with the storytelling too. I have done some in the past with the kids artwork, but haven't had much sucess with this group.
    Ok, I have to know, what constitutes frigid temps in NC, because here in ND we have been dealing with below zero windchills for days! We try to do some sort of movement activities to compensate.

    ReplyDelete