Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Another Story

Today after nap Sydney came up to me and said, "I want a story." I told her to go pick out a book and I would read it to her. "No" she says. Ok, do you want me to pick it out?? "No" she says. Ok kid... what is it you want?? "I want a story." Hmmmm, my brain starts working trying to figure out exactly what she is talking about... then it hits me... she wants to TELL me a story. Oh, I love my kids!! She sought me out... so I said ok lets go!!!

She gets the paper, a pencil (she wants me to have the one with an eraser), and brings me to the reading corner (where we have some pillows and where I did this yesterday) and she sits down to watch me write. I tell her I am ready... she stares at me. Ok... "Sydney did you want to tell me a story?" She smiles and giggles... now you have to understand she is not yet 3 (almost though) and loves to giggle. She is a doll.

Sydney: I got a bite by me cat. It bite me two times. I don't want it to bite me.

She then proceeds to show me a mark on her leg (which looks very similar to a marker smudge) and smiles and walks away. That was it... after the kids picked up their nap mats we had a quick circle where I read her story. She was very excited to come to the front of the circle. She kept raising her hand while I read the story. Not sure why, but she kept doing it.

** I found out later by her Mom that the cat wasn't in the home anymore. I think that maybe she is working this out and needed an outlet for what she was feeling. Cool... Thanks Teacher Tom... my kids needed this and I don't think I would have thought of it on my own!!

I know now that this is an activity I will have available whenever they want it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is impressive! She picked up on that quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you have taken to the story telling technique that Teacher Tom talks about so often on his blog. It is one of my favorite things to read about. I love how Sydney wanted to make that a story! It has all the right elements - action, drama, and a decisive ending:)

    ReplyDelete