Friday, February 5, 2010

A Rainy Friday

No photo's today. My afternoon helper is doing a project at school and took my camera to use some of the photo's from yesterday. I missed it!!

Today we did some painting with our Construction Vehicles and Orange Paint. We had Show-n-Tell, and counted to 30. We always do our Calendar, talk about the days of the week, and review our letters and numbers. I will usually read a book or two, we do some sort of jumping or dancing, and then go off to our center work. I had available the Sm, Med, Lg activities, a Bob the Builder Sequencing Sort that helps the kids with sizes (you can see it here) and the sensory table. So it was a busy morning.

We have been inside a lot this week. Between the rain and snow my yard is a huge mud pit. I don't mind getting muddy or wet, but muddy, wet and cold does not make for happy kids. So, it was kinda loud in my house today. We did some games, there was dancing and twirling, sliding and crashing, and singing. Lots of singing. We wash our hands to the tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider, and I usually can hear the kids singing softly while they wash up, but today it was a free for all. There was singing to beat the band. I am glad it is Friday.

This weekend I will be spending some real thoughtful contemplation on how to keep my free and open art/science/math areas up and running with Little Miss M around. She is getting so big and interested in the materials that she is digging right in. This is great, except she does still use her mouth as a real detective tool. She thinks by tasting it, she'll know what it is :)

So, I want to make the "classroom" open to all the kids. A place they all can enjoy and explore without any safety issues. But that leaves me with the question on how to make certain material accessible to the big kids, but not causing a safety issue for Little Miss M. Huh... see, it may take all weekend, but I will come up with something. If anyone with a mixed aged group has any ideas... I would love to hear from you!!! Thanks!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is a tough one when you are trying to deal with so many age groups. Those little ones do make it interesting! What we have found works best here is to keep everything pretty toddler-friendly, with the exception of the side of the room that has the Discovery Table and the Messy Corner. The little ones can use that area...but only when someone, generally me, is able to supervise them. Yes, it's not ideal that I have to put these restrictions on them...but it's the best I can do in this situation. And my consultant was cool with it, too. Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete