Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Our 1st Official Day Back

After being gone for 2 weeks, I am finally back. We lost my mother in law last week to non-smokers lung cancer (there is a technical name for it, just can pronounce, let alone spell it). She passed away peacefully with her husband at her side, early on a Monday morning. We made it in time for her to say goodbye to her grandsons, and for them to say "I Love You" to her, which I will always be grateful for. It was a very emotional 2 weeks, and I am grateful to have had that time with our family, but I am glad to be back to the smiling faces and joyous wonders I am lucky enough to get to spend my days with. Thank you to all my families for being sooooooo understanding of our situation. It was a wonderful gift.

Now... we had our 1st official circle time of the new year!! It went great. I have been wondering how it would go, since our age ranges are so vast, but it was wonderful!!! The littlest ones watched in awe as the "big" 4 yr olds sat for the story, sang familiar songs, and got to go to the calendar and move things around. Wow!! When it was their turn to do something... it was unbelievable. They weren't sure what to do, but they loved it!!! I was so caught up with what we were doing, no photos today... sorry.

We then had a walk around the classroom discussion about rules and such... we did a lot of comparing what a 2 yr old can do and what a 4 yr old can do. We talked about things maybe at 4 we don't remember doing at 2. This way the 4 yr olds can be the positive role models I know they are.

We ended our morning with time outside. It was a wonderfully warm day out, they kids kicked off their shoes, dug into the sand, swung on the swings, climbed anything they could find and took a twist on the new tire swing. It was a wonderful morning!!!

On another note... my youngest son went off to his first day of kindergarten today. I had a whole group of children waiting for me when I got home from the bus stop... but I don't think I have ever felt so naked. Just putting him on that bus, watching as a stranger drives him away (he was waving with a huge grin on his face, mind you) to a place I won't be much of a part of. I never felt this way with his brothers, my husband says it's because I always had 1 more at home with me... and I agree... I told him I'm ready to adopt now :)

Hope everyone's first weeks back are going great!!! It's nice to be home.


  1. Oh, Michelle, I am so sorry. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Your first paragraph just tore at my heart.

    I'm so glad the day went well for you. I remember last year being in that same place, wondering how it would go without my leaders...and being pleasantly surprised at how well it did all go.

    And your last paragraph was another tear-jerker as well! I remember that day I left my baby at kindergarten...I walked the two blocks home with tears streaming down my face. This year wasn't much better. 3rd graders get to ride their bikes to school, and Jory took full advantage of that. He didn't even want me to go with him! So...I cried watching him ride his bike to school, haha!

    So glad you are back! I love reading about your days.

  2. Bev,
    Thank you for your kind words and prayers. It has been a hard few weeks. There were a lot of firsts... my big boys went off to Middle School, Luke went to the 4th grade at the intermediate school and Ry went to kindergarten at yet another school. Lots of adjustments to be made by us all. Thank you for the words, it is nice to know I'm not alone :)