Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tower Box for the Sensory Table... FINALLY!!!!

I finally got around to doing it!!! I made a 2 tier tower box for the sensory table.  I found the idea from Tom over at Sand and Water Tables.  I just love his blog!!  He has such wonderful and inventive ideas.  I want to try them all out, just haven't been able to find the time/materials to get it going.  Well, this weekend I finally did it, and found 2 boxes to cut, tape and create with and the kids loved it!!!!

I used 2 boxes I found in the garage, went to this post on the Sand and Water Tables blog and just went to town.  I had some duct tape in the garage, but this morning it looked like most of it was peeling back, so I wonder if it wasn't a different brand, I found the good stuff and the kids and I went about fixing it and getting it set in the table.  It was kinda big, but they didn't care.  It was hard keeping the wood shavings in the sensory table, and it was a little hard for me to watch them dump it on the floor because the space along side the tower was so narrow, but I did good.  

Today is the first day the kids used it, and was interesting because they spent a lot of time using the outside of the box.  The ledges and lining things up on the top, and not a whole lot of investigation or playing going on inside the box, or dumping through holes or doors. Though the littlest ones did use the very bottom of the box as a barn for their animals.   So, it will be interesting how the week progresses and if the play changes throughout the week.  



Wow... will you look at that mess.
Sometimes I can't believe how messy 5 little kids can make a room :)
We had to keep our nifty little sweeper close by today, but I think it's time to invest in one of those little carpet sweepers so I don't have to pull out the big vacuum all week.


This Pound-a-Ball toy is a real favorite at childcare.  They love to watch the ball go through the maze.  Yet, we can never keep the balls around long enough to get any real play value out of it.  They kids are fine if I am sitting right near them, guiding them to stay near the toy with the balls, but if I turn my head, or God forbid, get up and tend to something else nearby, they are outta there with the balls and I can't find them for weeks.  I only allow 2 balls out at a time because that way we at least have 2 to play with while I look for the lost ones, but unfortunately we only have 3 left.  1 was lost a while ago and for the life of me I can't seem to track it down.  I am hoping it didn't find it's final resting place in the trash can :)


Here!!!

Nope... just kidding :)

Hmmm.... I wonder if she'll turn her back :)

Nope, I guess I will have to play with it!!!


1 comment:

  1. Michelle, thanks for mentioning my blog. I will be curious to see what happens as the week progresses. Tom

    ReplyDelete