Monday, November 15, 2010

A New Week

It's a new week and the kids are excited to be learning about the Letter Ii. We will continue to learn about Thanksgiving too. At Circle Time today I asked the kids if they went some place special for Thanksgiving, most said no. So, I wanted to find out some Thanksgiving traditions they may enjoy...

Princess: "I don't eat anything for Thanksgiving."
Shell: "Not even turkey?"
Princess: "I eat lots of turkey and applesauce for Thanksgiving. I didn't know you meant THAT Thanksgiving."

D-Man: "I eat and eat and eat for Thanksgiving. But when is it?"
Shell: "Next week." (we count on calendar) "So, D what will you eat?"
D-Man: "I don't know, maybe burgers"
Princess: "You have to eat turkey. Don't you Shell?"
D-Man: "I'll eat dinosaur meat meals. Shell, do dinosaurs eat turkey?"
Shell: "Probably, and you'll probably eat some too... you'll like it."

It was fun hearing them talk about Thanksgiving (talk about anything really). We read The First Thanksgiving, by Jean Craighead George and illustrated by Thomas Locker. It was a beautifully illustrated book, but one with to much writing, and detail for these guys. So, I just talked about what was happening in the pictures. We made comparisons about life then and life now, differences in clothing, and what they actually ate at the first Thanksgiving, compared to what we actually eat.

We also read The Littlest Pilgrim, by Brandi Dougherty. This cute book is about Mini, the littlest pilgrim in her village. Mini wants to help do things in her village and everyone tells her she is to little. But, she finds she is not to little to be a friends to a little Native American friend she meets. It is a cute book that I could point out the way life was like when the pilgrims first landed in the New World. It is also something they can relate to... the Princess said, "That's like me when I want to help my Mom." That spun into a talk about being a good friend, big sister, little sister, little brother, etc...


After Circle Time we made some Ice Paint Cubes. The kids mixed up some batches of Red, Yellow and Blue food coloring with water. We then used a measuring cup to pour the colors into the ice cube trays. I then tried to put some foil over it, so we could put the sticks in (so we had some where to hold it tomorrow). I found that I could not tell where the cubes were under the foil, and we sort of make a little mess. We went to clear cling wrap after that... did you know that cling wrap doesn't really cling to plastic ice cube trays :) I had to hold it tight for the kids to get the sticks in, but we did it. I'm not saying we didn't make a little mess, but that's the fun right :)





I was so busy holding, directing, and making sure that the colored water didn't get on our clothes, that I only got 2 photo's. Weird, it felt like I was taking lots of them. Oh, well... you get the idea. The kids are excited to paint with them tomorrow. I think we are going to use paper first and then mix it with either flour or cornstarch and make some Icky paintings... I will see where it takes us tomorrow.
When we were finished with our Ice Paint Cubes we cleaned up and took a walk to the neighborhood park. It took us a while to get out of the house today, because we lost a sock. We are ALWAYS losing socks!!! The kids take off their sneakers when they come in, and mostly they leave their socks on. But when the 2's take their shoes off, usually the socks come off along with it. I think I should learn by now, but I always say, "leave your socks on, the floor is chilly." And without fail, Sprout or Little Miss M will take off their sock SOMEWHERE in the house and I won't find it for a week. I usually will find it tucked in the darnedest places... someones backpack, in the Tupperware cupboard (in a piece of Tupperware) or once we found one in the toilet paper holder in the bathroom.
I'm sorry, I digress... we went to the park. The kids had a great time, climbing, swinging, sliding, and running. Then it started to rain. It was cloudy, I know. But we had sunshine peeking through a lot, it was warm, and I just didn't think it would rain until later today :) The kids LOVED it!! Great Big Rain Drops were falling on our heads. It wasn't a downpour type of rain, it was just these big drops falling, kinda like a Springtime rain. It even smelled great. We made it back without getting drenched. It was the talk all through lunch and settling down for nap. It was a great morning.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have wondered how you are supposed to get the sticks to stand up straight in the ice cubes. I have always just let them rest on the side of the tray. They come out on an angle, but it seems to work just as well.

    ReplyDelete